The CAFFI HOUSING Project: Shiloh House
Caledon Area Families for Inclusion Housing Inc. – CAFFI HOUSING, is a not-for-profit advocating for persons with differing abilities. In partnership with Raising the Roof (RTR), CAFFI HOUSING is piloting an affordable shared housing model as an innovative housing project. Our goal is to provide adults with differing abilities the opportunity to live independently with supports in their home community.
This project, the first in Caledon, is a collaboration between CAFFI HOUSING Inc. (CH), Toronto Regional Conservation Authority (TRCA), and Raising the Roof Chez Toi (RTR)/ Building Up, with support from the Town of Caledon (TOC), the Region of Peel (ROP), the Heritage Board, The Home Depot and various corporate and community contributions.
This collaboration, proving the possible, will have many positive ripples in Caledon for years to come.
This project is a great example of community cooperation and engagement.
- The TRCA with a heritage building on a piece of property, unused for many years, leased the land and building to RTR.
- RTR’s Reside program in conjunction with Building Up and community volunteer help and support, completed all the renovation work to repurpose the building into a 3-person home. A “Green Grant” made the house energy efficient.
- The Heritage Board gave direction for the restoration of the outside of this building. The inside is brand new with heritage aspects preserved. The main floor is wheel chair accessible.
- CAFFI HOUSING Inc., subleased the house, and will oversee the pilot project.
- The Home Depot one of the major sponsors, with volunteers cleaned up the property, built a fence, a bus shelter and furniture for the garden area.
- The Town of Caledon Community Golf Tournament gave 75% of funds raised to this project. The Town and the Region have cooperated with funding, permits and support.
- The project is a home not a group home and is piloting the Home-Share concept.
- The home-share model for our third resident provides home safety especially overnight.
- This Pilot is now underway with the home fully occupied as of 2021.